Monday, March 14, 2011

A Little Temptation

This week at church we heard a really great message about being open about our life change through Jesus to other people. During the message though, I was hit with another point, that really got me thinking.

"The thief (Satan) comes only to steal, kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10

This verse really hit me, as I began to try to apply it to my own life. Do you realize that even the smallest of temptations- that little tiny lie, that extra thing at the store, that exaggeration, the hidden truth, eating that extra bite, watching that movie that doesn't exactly glorify the Lord, singing that song that is filled with worldiness, reading that magazine that makes you want more, reading that blog that makes you feel like you never have enough...the list could go on forever. Do you know that those tempations, are not from within yourself, they are not struggles in your head, it's not a battle between you and the world- it's a battle between you and Satan.

When I read the verse above- that Satan's one and only mission is to STEAL, KILL and DESTROY, I began to take it so literal it made me want to fight back. Those tiny, little temptations are not so small when I begin to understand that these temptations are meant to STEAL (my focus from the Lord) to KILL (my spirit) and to DESTROY (my life). The verse made me want to fight back, to not disregard these petty temptations as SMALL any longer, but to understand the magnitude of Satan's ultimate goal.

Look at your life today, and when you're faced with the biggest or even the smallest of temptations, realize that ALL temptations come from Satan and are thrown your way to STEAL, KILL and DESTROY. The Lord will help you fight back. Don't let Satan win today.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Very powerful and so true! Thanks for sharing this Ash!

Abigail Evans said...

I love when a message really hits home and makes us re-examine our lives. Someone once told me that Satan can never be inside of us or a part of us Christians because the holy spirit resides IN us once we accept him. Satan can, however, hold our hand and lead us down paths as well as offer up temptations. Our flesh and our spirit will always be in battle for as long as we live, but it is such an encouragement knowing that we are FILLED with good, and we will WIN the ultimate battle! Love you Ash, great post, it was really encouraging to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Search This Blog

I work for a King.

I work for a King. He has put me in charge of His home. When He comes to see how I have managed His possessions and His children, I do not want to be found wanting. I want to do my best. Everything I have is on loan from Him. I have room and board and a job to do, but it is all for Him.
Therefore I want to dress my best, and do my best in all my work. I also want to be creative, for this is a sincere attempt to glorify Him and His beautiful creation. How I manage my home is a form of worship to Him.
-Lydia Sherman